Nothing says “I have no content” and “I’m too busy to come up with something creative” than jumping on a blog hop full of questions. But considering I’m elbow-deep in Turkey giblets preparing to host my very first Thanksgiving, I figure why not. Plus I really love Cathryn of That Red Mare <3
1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
Geldings. I’ve always owned geldings, and while I have now found a few mares I can get along with, I typically don’t.
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
Broke. Preferably ‘bomb proof’. If I felt like I could take a chance, I wouldn’t mind getting a green horse and immediately putting it into training, but I’ve always been a one-horse family. And that one horse HAS to work for me and do what I want to do.
3. Would you own a “hotter” breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
I don’t really care much about the breed, more about that particular horse’s personality and abilities. If that horse is quiet and a good jumper, I’m game whether it’s an imported warmblood or a POA. But typically I tend to stay away from “hotter” breeds simply because that’s not the type of ride I enjoy.
4. What was your “dream horse” growing up?
I have a few… actually. I’ve always wanted a bay quarter horse gelding with lots of chrome and a white hunter-type pony name Pickles.
5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
Single-jointed D-ring Happy Mouth because that’s what Miles chose! He goes best in this bit and is more willing to stretch down over his topline than in anything else I’ve tried.
6. Helmets or no helmets?
Helmet! Always. #mindyourmelon
7. Favorite horse color?
I honestly don’t know if I have one. I love dapple greys and bays with chrome. A pretty tobiano always catches my eye too.
8. Least favorite horse color?
Oh man…. I love them all! If they’re sweet and/or pretty, I’m in love.
9. Dressage or Jumping?
10. How many years have you been riding?
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
Both, but it depends on the horse. Miles goes in a crop and rubber roller spurs, whereas Moiya gets neither.
12. Your first fall?
I don’t remember my first, but my most memorable was at my very first horse show.
13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
I rode on Monday in a lesson and we worked on my partnership with Miles over fences.
14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
My saddle <3
15. How old were you when you started riding?
I was 9 and in the 4th grade.
16. Leather or Nylon halters?
Leather. Although I do have a nylon grooming halter.
17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
Leather. Preferably calfskin. #spoiled
18. What “grip” of reins do you like?
I only own laced reins… so… laced I guess? Haha
19. English or Western?
I prefer to ride English, but I appreciate a great Western horse too.
20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
Board. My non-horsey friends always ask if I’ll buy a farm or farmette down the road and bring the horses home, but I honestly don’t think I will. I like the freedom and peace of mind that boarding gives me.
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
23. How many saddlepads do you have?
Enough to clothe a small country.
24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
Stand-load! I know it’s not the popular choice, but I think it gives horses better traction. I’ve seen too many slip in straight-loads.
25. Why do you ride?
Because I love it. I love nurturing a partnership with such a large, intelligent animal and I love that the sport is both mentally and physically challenging.