We started out with a flat exercise, focusing on varying degrees of connection and moving from a collected canter to a more forward canter and back again. By the end of the exercise, Vinnie and I were on the same page and it went pretty well. Then we moved on to some coursework. With Vinnie’s lack of fitness, we only jumped small jumps, maybe 18″ at most, but that’s fine with me; I need to focus on getting re-acquainted with Vinnie’s stride and pace anyways. Overall it went really well–when I focused on my core and keeping my legs still, it was all right there. When I didn’t… well, let’s just say it wasn’t as pretty. But, it’s all a work in progress!
As for Diamond, she is doing well. All the swelling in her tendon is gone, so we just have her wound to deal with. She’s still on stall rest, but at least she’s doing better. I’m hoping to flat this weekend and give her some extra spa treatment… if she cooperates. A cooped up red Thoroughbred mare might not make for a relaxing hour in the crossties!