Today you get questions (shamelessly stolen from Viva Carlos) because my only other option consisted of a post in which you watched my head spin off. Which, on second thought, might have been more entertaining. Oh well, too bad.
1. If your horse could talk what would they say? What would they be like?
Miles would definitely be a grumpy guy… probably one who sits in an armchair and watches football and yells “I’m outta beer and chips!” really loudly. Okay, so he probably wouldn’t be like that all the time, because he does like to go out and do fun things too, but he would definitely have bad/lazy days too.
2. If you were a horse, what would you look like (color, markings, etc), what discipline would you do, and what would you be like to ride?
I’d like to be a fancy, pretty warmblood jumper… but in reality I’d probably be a fat, lazy quarter horse. You know, one of those old school-horse types who is always a little bit grouchy, very food motivated, and doesn’t really want to do anything, except sleep and eat grass. But I’d probably be nice enough, and certainly quiet enough, to do 2′ – 2’6″ hunters on at local shows.
3. How many barns have you ridden at?
I guess technically 4 barns and 4 trainers. The first barn I rode at was in Amish country and the trainer really stopped giving me lessons after a few years… I just paid to ride the horse around. Then I got Visa and moved in with a more legit trainer and a program.
During college I briefly rode for the IHSA team, so I guess technically I count that as a barn/trainer too. But It wasn’t all that often (only once a week during the season) and only for a year or two. And now the barn that Miles and I are currently at!
4. What kind of bay do you prefer? (bright bay, blood bay, etc.)
I like dark bays, but with lots of chrome. Come to think of it, I like any color (bay, black, chestnut) as long as there is chrome!
5. Can you braid a horses mane? Tail?
No. For a while, I really wanted to learn but more and more I don’t see the point. I don’t go anywhere that I’d need to braid for, and if I did, it would be so much easier just to pay to have it done. I’m old and lazy, what can I say?
6. Do you believe that you have to fall off in order to be a good rider?
I think that all riders fall. I don’t think it makes you better or worse, it’s just a fact of the sport. It’s kind of like asking a football player if getting tackled makes them better or worse.
7. What do you think is more important: eq or effective riding?
Well, I do think form follows function, but I also believe that some people just look better on a horse… typically tall skinny ones. That’s not to say that a larger person can’t have good equitation, though. I personally strive to be effective, but that’s because my goals and dreams are in the hunter ring, not the equitation ring.
8. Are there any “horse couples” at your barn?
Well, my fiance comes out to the barn with me quite often, although he doesn’t ride. There is a married couple at the barn who both ride. It’s pretty cool, I think.
9. Favorite treat to feed your horse?
Anything? I usually stick to carrots and Stud Muffins, but that’s just convenience. He also likes Oatmeal Cream Pies from Little Debbie.
10. Silly quirks your horse has.
Hmm… Miles can literally fall asleep during a lesson when we’re standing in the middle. His shoulder starts to twitch and I have to nudge him to wake him up!
11. Strangest thing you’ve fed your horse.
Miles hasn’t gotten lots of weird treats yet. I fed Visa everything: oreos, gummy bears, chinese food, gyros… you name it, he probably ate it.
12. Have you ever made any horse friends through the internet?
I like to think I have, although I’ve never met any in person. But I’d like to!
13. Would you buy horse furniture?
I’m not really into it, to be honest. My decor style is very, very traditional and I get enough of horses at the barn. I don’t need them plastered all over my house too.
14. Funniest horsey moment
In 2012 my best friend N was showing two horses in the Hunter Derby, so of course I stayed to watch and help out. In our barn we don’t have grooms or anything — we do everything ourselves (like most normal people). So I made a joke about how nice it must have been to have a groom that night to help out and it escalated to everyone in our group (parents, friends, etc.) receiving groom names… which we still use to this day whenever someone gets bossy.
15. Post a picture of your horse (or any horse) making a silly face that you got on camera!
I apparently need to take more pictures. But I think this photo is pretty funny:
|I look so happy, and Miles looks the exact opposite, haha
16. What’s a moment with horses that you wished you caught on camera?
I wish I had video of me riding Saddle Seat. But I do have plenty of photos that maybe one day I will share with you!
17. How old was the youngest horse you’ve met?
I took an equine reproduction class in college where we got a broodmare and foaled her out… so I met her baby when he was only a few days old. And that’s my experience with young horses. Miles (at age 7) is the youngest horse I’ve ever worked with, and I have no desire to work with foals or baby horses. No thank you.
|The equine reproduction baby. Cute, until you had to work with him.
18. How old was the oldest horse you’ve met?
There was a horse at the first barn I rode at who was 35 — his name was Leelad, and he was an OTTB. They built the barn with the winning he made on the track.
19. Opinion on colorful tack? (like red or blue)
Depends… I don’t mind colorful polos, horse boots or bridle/breastplate for contesting. Or even colorful saddle pads for western or hunter/jumper schooling. But I don’t like colored stirrups or saddles for anything. And I definitely prefer a more traditionally turned out pair… which is probably why I’m a hunter.
20. Have you ever tried horse treats? Hay?
Nope. I’m boring.
21. Have you ever felt like giving up on a horse?
I feel like I gave up on Charlie, a Morgan cross I leased in high school. I wish I could have taken him with me and ensured he had a good home for the rest of his life, but two horses were out of the question and I had accomplished everything I could with him.
|Charlie the One-Eyed Wonder Pony (that was literally his show name)
22. Tell the story about the horse that you first felt “click” immediately with you (and if you can’t remember, most recent)
Definitely Chuck! He was a chestnut quarter horse gelding (anyone sensing a theme here?) that I really bonded with. I took one lesson on him and sitting on his back just felt like coming home. I trusted him from day one, and even his “scary” antics in the barrel racing ring didn’t scare me — they just made me laugh.
23. Ever ridden side-saddle? How was it?
I haven’t… but I’m very intrigued as to how people actually stay on! It looks so hard.
24. Most interesting place you’ve ridden at
State fair, where the jumping took place right next to the midway… including the Ferris Wheel and Big Slide. Fun time.
25. What kind of horse do you like? (sport, stock, endurance, etc)
I have an appreciation for most types of horses, but my favorites are definitely hunter/jumpers… both in the USEF world and AQHA world.
26. Do you feel like you have more patience with horses than people?
Honestly it just depends on the day. In general though I have more patience with horses because I don’t expect as much out of them, and I ride ones that know their job.
27. Is the horse you ride very vocal?
Not at all. To date I’ve never heard him utter a sound.
28. Ever ridden in the sunset?
Thanks to daylight savings time, yes.
29. How do you like a horse’s mane? roached, pulled, long, etc.
I prefer my horse’s mane pulled, but I love long, flowing Reiner manes. So fucking gorgeous, there’s just no way I want to take care of it!
30. What is your dream name for a horse?
Honestly don’t have one. I like to pick names that fit the horse.