I can always use some help with content, so thanks to Rhiannon of The Horse Is Not Black for putting together a fun little blog hop!
1. What are your summer goals?
Summer is horse show season here in the Midwest, so show goals are at the forefront of my mind. I’m really hoping to work on finessing my rounds and improving the details — I want to be beyond the ‘I survived!’ phase this year. I also want to make sure I’m taking the horses on plenty of trail rides too.
2. Do you have any tips or tricks for fly control?
Ugh, NO. I make my own fly spray because I use so much of it, and both horses get fly masks and fly sheets because they remain on morning turnout. For riding (especially on the trails) I can’t live without my Cashel Quiet Ride Mask and my fly whisk.
3. How often do you bathe your horse?
I rinse them off after every ride in the summer, but I tend to only bathe about once a month or before a horse show.
4. Do you have any upcoming travel plans? Equine or otherwise?
I won’t be traveling until early fall, but hopefully I’ll be at the Kentucky Horse Park in September and Atlanta in October!
5. What is your favorite way to beat the heat?
Cold drinks and shade. I’ve found that staying hydrated really helps keep me cool during the high humidity we get so often in Ohio.
6. Do you do anything to prevent your horse from sun bleaching?
I bought a chestnut? LOL — and honestly, Moiya hates the bugs so much that she’s only out for a few hours each day.
7. How hot is too hot for you to ride?
It depends on how much tolerance I have built up, but generally speaking if the heat index is 100+ I don’t ride. Although, I think this year is going to be particularly hot, so I may end up breaking that rule quite a bit.
8. How important is sun protection for you riding or just in general?
I burn more easily than I used to, but in general if I put on sunscreen once a day during shows, I’m fine. I also LOVE sunshirts.
9. Have you ever gone swimming with your horse?
No — but I’d like to!
10. And because shopping is always on my mind, what’s on your summer wish list?
Ugh, I’m trying so hard to curb my spending! I’d love a Miss Shield though…